Why it happens
The main reason behind the firmware flashing process failing is a connectivity issue. This can come from the operating system, hardware, or software. That’s why it can be tricky to figure out why it’s happening.
The good news is that in a few steps, you fix it in most cases.
How to solve it
Before starting the troubleshooting process, it’s very important you:
- Use the provided Dygma cables.
- Make sure the Defy is connected directly to the computer. Don’t connect it to a KVM, USB HUB, or any other device that is an intermediary with the computer.
- Ensure that both sides of the keyboard are turned off.
- Ensure that you are connected to the Internet; it’s required to connect to the GitHub repository where the firmware version is stored. Be aware that some antivirus or operating systems may block Bazecor's connection to the internet.
- If you use a laptop, ensure it’s connected to a power source.
Let’s start the troubleshooting steps:
- Close Bazecor, disconnect, reconnect Defy, and reopen Bazecor. The classic “Have you tried turning it on and off again?” solves the problem 50% of the time.
- Swap the cables from the left to the right side and flip the connectors. The side that’s on the keyboard to the Neuron and vice versa.
These two steps may seem arbitrary, but a connectivity issue can come from software timeouts (how long it takes the computer or software to process information) and hardware issues (like a connector misbehaving), or operating systems (not giving enough power to the Defy).
If nothing above worked or you bricked your Defy
In the weird scenario that nothing above helped, there are two ways of forcing your Neuron to flash.
This process restarts the Neuron and returns it to factory settings. It may be a bit tricky, so be patient and careful.
- Ensure that you have one of the Defy cables connected directly to the computer
- Find a small hole in the side of the Neuron.
- Hold the reset button in that hole with a pin AS you connect the cable from the computer to the Neuron.
- Open Bazecor, select the Defy, and if you’ve properly reset the Neuron, the following message should appear:
- Press the “Update Firmware” button. The process won’t take more than a few minutes.
- After updating the Neuron’s firmware, connect the sides and update the firmware again. This will update the firmware of your Defy sides
Factory flasher tool
This flasher tool is the one we use in the factory to flash all the keyboards.
- Download and install the app from this link.
- Open the app.
- If your Defy is wireless, turn off the sides now.
- Connect the Neuron and only the Neuron. Don’t connect the sides to the Neuron.
- Select "Standard Firmware"
- Press Flash Neuron.
- If that button is greyed out or does nothing, put the neuron in Bootloader mode as explained above.
- Connect the sides to the neuron.
- Activate force sides flash
- Press Flash sides
- Wait a few minutes for the sides to flash.
- Press pair sides.
- Restore your backup on the Preferences menu in Bazecor
- The flasher tool will flash the 1.0.0 firmware version. To enjoy all the latest features, you’ll need to flash the latest firmware using Bazecor
If you have Linux, please try this other app.
If, at some point, the flashing process fails, try again. It takes a few tries in some rare scenarios for it to flash properly.